Monday, January 31, 2011

I Hope You Dance

Have you ever picked up a little child, gently tucked their tiny left hand in your right hand (fingers extended between your own), then playfully danced all around the room? Within seconds tears are dried and replaced by giggles.

I guess you can tell I've tried it more times than I can count. What is it about dancing that distracts us from present concerns and elicits laughter?

Generally speaking, when it comes to exercise, I prefer the old-fashioned methods. Just give me a bicycle, gazelle, elliptical, stairclimber, weights, steps, or the open road and I'm good to go. Recently, however, I have become fascinated by the dance simulation game known as Dance Dance Revolution or simply DDR.

DDR began as an arcade game in Asia and quickly became a national obsession in Japan following its introduction there in 1998. Conceptually, Dance Dance Revolution is a simple game. The player stands on a platform or mat designed with 4 basic arrows -- up, down, right, left. On the screen the same 4 stationary arrows are positioned at the top. Meanwhile, moving arrows are scrolling from the bottom to the top of the screen. When a moving arrow goes into the stationary arrow shape, it's time for the player to hit the similar arrow on the mat with his/her foot. Of course, that describes the beginner level. As a player improves, more challenging levels of play are selected from the game menu. I can't tell you much about those yet.

Believe me, DDR is simple to understand, difficult to master, and highly addictive. Besides that, it's a fantastic aerobic workout and a hilarious spectator sport.

I never cease to be amazed by the creativity of our younger generation. They may not enjoy workouts that tout blood, sweat, and tears, but they're first in line to dance. They have introduced me to the Cha Cha Slide, Cupid Shuffle, Tootsie Roll, and the Wii, and I will never be the same. Something happens to my joints and muscles when I hear their music, and my body behaves in the strangest contorted ways. That's not to mention what happens when I hear the youtube wedding song; I won't even go there! What has happened to me in my more mature years? Do you know what I'm talking about? Really, I think I still owe apologies to several little folks that I ran over on my way to the dance stage when that song played at my daughter Allyson's recent winter wonderland wedding. Truly, an out-of-body experience.

Several years ago, Lee Ann Womack popularized the song I Hope You Dance. As I listen to its words, I think she is saying we should never let life drain us of our passion and joy. I think she wants us to fan the fire that wakes us in the morning, sustains us through the day, and gives us peace at night. And I'm certain she is reminding us of the greatness of our Creator. But the more I watch the gleam in the eyes of those who are moving to the beat of their favorite music, the more I understand why she repeats the line ". . . and when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I Hope You Dance! "

This week I hope you'll turn on the music, clear out the furniture, and yes, I hope you'll dance!

JB

1 comment:

  1. Anna Cate just got a Wii for Christmas and she LOVES this game. We don't own it yet, but she has it at her Day Care. It is hilarious to watch her, and I know it must be a good workout in the winter months. Molly, only 11 months old, is starting to dance, which makes me think dancing is fundamental to our human experience, as is moving and writing so I am going to love your blog!

    ReplyDelete